Friday, July 27, 2012

Today, Goodbye.

Today is kind of a big, sad day. Our last day in our Adams Morgan apartment together, our last day in D.C. together. I said a long (hot) goodbye to our neighborhood this morning on a 6 mile run. I'm going to miss our location so much! I know all the mileage around there, I love running through the National Zoo and the Rock Creek Park, I love the park and the 7-11 across from our apartment. I love our big, south facing windows that fill the whole apartment with light in the morning while I stretch out. ugh. Sad.

The funny thing is, I never would have guessed all the things that made our apartment so great when we first signed the lease. I knew we liked it the best of all we'd seen, but I didn't know how much I would fall in love with it, or how D.C. would finally feel like My City once we moved in there. Sure, living with only one closet was hard (to say the least), and the cockroach problem was miserable, and our lone tomato really wouldn't grow and the condo board was a B*TCH. But I loved it there.

Our neighborhood.
Photo: Jeanine Finch
It's also the first place the Grige and I ever lived together. Which means it has the memories of lots of fights, lots of firsts, and lots of friends, all of which I am avoiding thinking about because I'm already falling apart just thinking about leaving 600 sq. ft. of wood flooring and bright paint jobs.

I should be getting excited over our new, big apartment, with central air and craftsman fixtures and a yard and MULTIPLE CLOSETS and FREE LAUNDRY. But I can't. I'm completely hung up on the fact that I'll never run home through the Zoo again. Or spend all day laying around in Kalorama park. Or drunkenly order wings at the 7-11 at 3:00 am after karaoke. Sure, I'll be back in a few weeks, but it just won't ever be the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment